Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Kat Von D Tattoo Liner Review




Usually I'm a bit hesitant about lines released by celebrities or really anything that has celebrity attached to it (it's obviously like a right of passage or something to have your own perfume/clothing line once you've made at least the C-list), because generally I assume they are just sub-par hastily done products sold for one purpose: to $$$ on that familiar name.  

So to say the least I was pretty indifferent when I heard Kat Von D released a line of make-up exclusively for Sephora. After seeing reviews of praise on you-tube I decided to break down and try it out for myself.

I purchased the Tattoo Liner in Maya (brown) for $18. The main reason I was intrigued by this liner is that the applicator is not a felt tip but actually a brush. It's pen shape mixed with the long, thin brush tip is supposedly perfect for creating those cat-eye flicks.  



So how did it measure?

Price Point: 5/10

I'm cheap and $18 for a liner is a bit steep when there are so many decent drug store options.

Ease Of Use: 9/10

The brush really is fantastic, makes creating precise lines so much easier and saves time.

Wear: 6/10

This is where I had an issue. Most reviews I saw used the black shade (Trooper), but since I am so fair I usually opt for brown liners. The brown shade is not opaque! Well not in a single stroke...it takes me 2-3 good strokes before having a solid enough line. However once I get a good line, it does last through the day. The darker shades seem to fair better, so that is something to consider for purchasing! 


Overall feelings: This definitely isn't a bad product! I'm actually impressed with Kat's line, and I find the brush on this liner to be really innovative. If the formula was better this would hands down be my new HG liner. But the fact that the tip seems to get dry and not apply opaque easily really makes it hard to justify that price when the Revlon Colorstay liquid I use now is $4 and has the same staying power albeit a trickier time getting a thin line. 

So will I be re-purchasing? Unfortunately no. Maybe I'll try it in the darker Trooper shade? Then again, maybe not. The price tag will probably have me running back to my drug-store tried & trues.  

Need liner inspo? These looks here haven't become iconic for nothing! 

(left to right: Dior Haute Couture S/S 11,Siouxsie Sioux, Gwen Stefani, Twiggy, Lana Del Rey, Edie Sedgwick, Mary Katrantzou F/W 12, Marilyn Monroe, Chanel Pre-Fall 2013, Alice Glass, Peggy Moffitt, Dita Von Teese)

No comments:

Post a Comment